I get SO many requests for posts on tasteful tween clothing so today I’m sharing some of my favorite tasteful brands, including some of the cute things I bought my daughter for spring. Plus a special DoSayGive event in Dallas for moms and their tween and teen girls! You’ll get lots of gift ideas in this post as well!
I don’t know about where you live, but tween girls in Dallas mostly wear athletic shorts and t-shirts. My daughter wears uniforms to school, but I still make my her wear nicer clothes if we are going out to dinner or she’s going to a friend’s birthday party. Church as well. Hopefully this is forming the habit that it is respectful to the people we are around if we don’t look like we just rolled out of bed – ha! One can try!
If you’ve browsed our Classic Children’s Clothing Guide you know the brands we love for these types of clothes.
Tween Brand Favorites for Church/Nicer Clothes
- Crewcuts – A staple for us and goes up to a size 16. Whether it’s a cute dress or white jeans and nice top, Crewcuts is a great source especially when you can get on sale.
- J. Crew Factory – They size up to a 14 but but a size 00 in adult sizing fits my 12 year old. These scallop skirts are great with a plain shirt or blouse.
- Vineyard Vines – Nordstrom online carries it and free shipping/free returns makes it easier. Another brand for cute tops, nicer shorts, and dresses.
- Lilly Pulitzer – They go up to size 14 and have 00 in adult size. Great for church dresses and don’t forget about them in the fall because they have great things! Lilly is a brand you will pass down to daughters and nieces.
- Rose Hill Classics – A new brand I am loving!
- Bella Bliss – Love their cute tops with white jeans!
- Florence Eiseman – Dresses up to to size 16.
- Busy Bees Kids – Up to size 14. They have SO many cute dresses, shorts, swimwear, and more.
- Gap – Hit or miss when it comes to appropriate clothing but we definitely find some things.
- Many of the trunk show and special occasional companies listed in our classic children’s clothing guide go up to a size 12 or 14.
- Boden – A British clothing company that makes fabulous casual wear for all ages. Cute sundresses.
- Petit Bateau – A French clothing company that makes great quality, modest clothes.
- Dillard’s – I’m always pleasantly surprised with their dress selection!
- Neiman Marcus – pricey but have some beautiful occasion dresses.
- Nordstrom – Our go-to source for church shoes My girls have liked these gold flats sandals (available in many colors!) when still in child sizes. Older girls like the Sam Edelman brand.
- Jack Rodgers
- Walmart and Target – Can you believe the cactus dress is from Walmart? It runs on the larger side. My daughter who is a size 12-14 wears a 10-12 in this. It also comes in this pattern which I also love!
Tween Brand Favorites for Casual Clothes
- Vineyard Vines T-Shirts
- Simply Southern
- Nike Shorts
- Adidas Swift Run (Under $100; shown above) Adidas Ultraboost (Most Popular but Super Expensive for growing feet!) Adidas Superstar (3 lines)
- Ivivva leggings
- Athleta Girl shorts, tops, and leggings
- Walmart – I love these tops that come in a 2-pack with tons of color options, this top that is a lot like something you would find at Ivivva, and this tie front top that would look adorable with white or jean shorts.
- Birkenstocks (but Walmart has some good lookalikes – see below! I also love these from Walmart.)
- Jandals (can’t quite figure out but letting go on these!)
So this spring so far I bought one of these Scalloped Skirts mentioned above to go with a few plain t-shirts and this darling Cherry Top, which also goes with white jeans. I bought this Cactus Dress from Walmart for our beach trip which she will wear all summer. This white dress coordinates with Busy Bees dresses I bought for my younger girls. Jack Rodgers work well all summer with church dresses. She got these Adidas Swift Run for Christmas which she wears for “nice” tennis shoes (i.e. not PE).
Speaking of Kendra Scott, if you’re in Dallas I hope you and your tween/teen will join my daughter and me for a fun (free!) event we are hosting with Long Cove on April 13th at the Plaza at Preston Center location. Each guest will get a $15 gift card! RSVP here.
What other “tween” things do you need help with? Swimsuits? Skincare? Comment below to help me plan for future posts!