Have you wondered what is happening with the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale? This time of year we are usually hearing A LOT about this legendary sale. Well, due to COVID-19, the sale has been pushed back a few weeks. Since this sale is a reader favorite, I wanted to fill you in on the details for this year’s sale, including how it will look a little different this year (and if it will even be as good as previous years’ sales!).
2019 Nordstrom Sale DoSayGive Reader Favorites
What’s the big deal?
The Anniversary Sale is unique because during the sale Nordstrom marks down NEW merchandise for fall and winter up to 40% off. All of the prices go back up at the end of the sale. Longtime shoppers of the sale will buy clothing, shoes, coats for the whole family, baby gear, beauty tools and, yes, even Christmas gifts!
When is the sale?
This year’s Anniversary Sale is taking place August 19-30 with Early Access starting August 13th! The dates have changed but you’ll still be able to shop new arrivals from top brands at a deep discount. We will do the leg work to find the best items on sale so you don’t have to!
How is the sale going to be different this year?
1. The obvious change is that many more people will be shopping online as many Nordstrom stores are not even open or open with limited hours (check your local store).
The “Buy Online, Pick up Curbside” option will be super popular as well. I would not be surprised if there are delays on both these options. It is always better to order earlier in the sale – and order multiple sizes – for the best selection (and send back what doesn’t work) but this year it’s probably even more important to do so to ensure you get your first picks.
2. Everyone will be able to preview everything included in the sale on July 24! If you set up a Nordstrom account you can save items you like to your wish list which will make shopping super easy and quick.
3. Nordstrom confirmed back in April that sale inventory will be pared down compared to previous years, by as much as 50%.
Nordstrom said they are focusing on their top selling categories year after year as well as categories that have done well during this COVID economy (home, cozy, beauty/self care).
Bottom line: they will have great deals on great things, but just less inventory overall.
So, again, shop early!
How do I shop the sale early?
Become a Nordstrom card member. The sale opens with “Early Access” for Nordstrom cardholders on August 13 (higher level card members can shop even earlier!) and then public access opens on August 19!
Note: many of the *hot* items often sell out during Early Access. Years ago they used to restock when the sale opened to the public but the past two years they really haven’t done that and I doubt they will this year as well.
You can still sign up to be a card member to shop Early Access.
How to Shop Strategically
I have been posting and (as silly as it sounds!) strategizing this sale for DoSayGive readers for over five years. Many of y’all have learned this along with me: it’s best to shop strategically. Figure out the items you will probably be buying anyway for your family and get them for up to 40% off during the sale.
Ask yourself: do your kids’ need new shoes? Does your husband need a new suit or suitcase for work travel? Is your daughter’s birthday coming up? Many of my readers shop holiday gifts. Sounds crazy but it’s actually smart. There are some amazing candles, beauty gifts, and throws in this sale. I always buy several fall tops and jeans and boots that get me through the fall/winter. Baby gear is typically included too! Having a list will ensure you don’t buy things you don’t really need.
We will be sending a MASSIVE roundup with our favorites when the sale opens. Sign up here so you don’t miss this email!
Also: if you love something order two sizes and send back what doesn’t work. (Free returns make this a no brainer.)
What to Shop First:
Many of the most popular sale items sell out quickly so I always recommend that reader shop a few specific categories first…
- Higher End Shoes: Shop these early for the most sizing availability! The Nordstrom Anniversary sale is also a great time to order trendy shoes without spending a ton.
- Designer Coats and Denim: Definitely plan ahead and think about any jackets or coats for you and your husband. Last year there were fabulous designer coats included in the sale!
- Coveted Beauty Sets: Some of the makeup sets go really fast. Treat yourself or think ahead to holiday gifting!
- Athletic Sneakers: The top sneaker brands tend to go fast.
- Barefoot Dreams Cardigans and Blankets: Stock up your gift closet with these no-fail gift items!
Bookmark this page!
We’ll be updating this page with any new information we receive about the sale and our favorite items from the sale. Stay tuned for another post when the sale preview is live!