With all the extra time at home on these long summer days, there’s no time like the present to start introducing your children to chores! Most children (especially older ones) will likely argue when we say that chores are actually a good thing, but hear us out — not only does it give mom and dad a reprieve from housework, but it teaches children of all ages responsibility and good habits, taking pride in their work, and the importance of finishing what you start. And yes, you can teach these important life principles while making the bed!
Keep reading for our list of age appropriate chores for children — from toddlers to teenagers — and be sure to add your ideas in the comments below. Remember that every family and every child is different, so use this list as a guide to best suit yours. Then use the extra minute or two to sit back and relax!
AGE APPROPRIATE CHORES FOR CHILDREN AGES 3-18
3 Years Old
- Put a small amount of toys in a storage bin or basket.
- Help make their bed.
4-5 Years Old
- Make their own bed.
- Help set the table.
- Help sort and put laundry away.
- Empty the dishwasher with assistance.
6-8 Years Old
- Empty trash cans with siblings.
- Help dust.
- Feed and brush pets.
- Help with the dishes.
- Clean their entire room.
8-11 Years Old
- Wash and clean the dishes.
- Clean and sweep floors, or vacuum.
- Clean surfaces like the kitchen table and counters.
- Water flowers and pick weeds.
12-15 Years Old
- Mow the lawn.
- Do an entire load of laundry from start to finish.
- Plan meals.
- Take out the garbage.
- Help younger siblings with chores.
- Walk the dog
16-18 Years Old
- Go grocery shopping.
- Cook dinner one night a week.
- Clean their entire bathroom.
- Drive younger siblings to and from activities.
Looking for more posts about intentional motherhood? Be sure to read these favorites below: