Just as summer starts to wind down, the new school year starts to ramp up! School calendars are sent out. Important dates are set. And the back to school rush begins. So much mental energy is put into the seemingly never-ending back to school lists and to-dos, that it can be hard to keep track of it all (especially if you have multiple children!). So I wanted to put together a simple, back to school checklist for parents that includes tasks and things to buy that could help ease a little of that August stress — if even just a bit! Sometimes it just helps to be able to check things off of a list, wouldn’t you agree?
Below you’ll find a list of things I’m doing to get ready for the school year, and we’ve created a printable version, too! Things like haircuts, labeling clothes, and gathering the homework supplies I like to have on hand are all on the list.
- Take an inventory of clothing, shoes, and accessories.
- Order needed clothes/uniforms, shoes, socks, underwear, and accessories.
- Take clothes for alterations or embroidery.
- Purchase school supplies and homework supplies (paper, glue, scissors, printer ink, poster board, bookmark timer, ruler, note cards, etc.).
- Buy teacher gifts for the first day of school.
- Get immunization records from pediatrician.
- Take children to get haircuts.
- Put important school dates on your calendar.
- Register for fall sports and activities.
- Clean backpacks, lunch boxes, and water bottles (or purchase new ones).
- Sign summer reading and other forms.
- Get first day of school sign.
- Plan school lunches or add money to school meal plans.
- Label everything!
I truly hope this helps streamline and simplify things for you ahead of the new school year. Just scroll down to download the printable Back to School Checklist for Parents list below and print it off as you start checking things off of your list!
If you haven’t already, be sure to read our Back-To-School Favorites post for all of our favorite back to school brands including backpacks, lunch accessories, and more!
Is there anything else you do to get ready for the back to school rush? I’m all ears!